l o v e l y t h i n g s



9.19.2011

comfort food & spaghetti pie

Spaghetti Pie is total comfort food.   Although... I sometimes wonder how comforting it is to know that I've probably consumed an entire days worth of calories in just one meal, but sometimes that's okay.  It's easy to make and just as easy to make two.  One for a friend or one for the freezer.

Spaghetti Pie 
ingredients for one pie.  preheat oven to 350º and butter a glass pie dish.

1/2 package of spaghetti, cooked according to package.
2 eggs beaten
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Mix the above ingredients together while still warm and pour into prepared pie dish, spread evenly.

1 small onion, diced
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp oregano (I used Penzy's Tuscan herbs)...thanks Eileen.
1 cup sour cream or ricotta cheese
Saute the onion in olive oil and season with salt and pepper and spices.  Saute until onion becomes soft.   Then in a bowl mix together the sour cream or ricotta cheese and the onion mixture.  Spoon onto the spaghetti and egg mixture.

Meanwhile, cook 1 pound Italian sausage.  Crumble and cook until browned.  Add 1 cup water and one 6 oz. can tomato paste and cook for about 20 minutes.  Add to the pie dish as the third layer and cook in a 350º oven for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and add grated mozzarella cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or just until cheese melts.  Let set at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting.  Serve a small slice with a green salad and a glass of Chianti.  enjoy!



13 comments:

  1. We are on the same page I think. I posted comfort food today too.

    This looks yummy...and I will definitely have to try it.
    xo Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful, and I think it might even fill up a 15-year-old boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about other people's comfort foods. I've never made this and it looks so good. I'm also slowly realizing that the best dinners are the ones that take care of themselves in the oven so I'm not scurrying around at the last minute with a dozen pots and pans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my we love spaghetti pie, although your pie looks so much better then ours! Going to add it to the weekly menu! the kids will be so excited!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta is comfort food indeed!
    I love a homemade Mac n' Cheese...If one needs a pick me up i say calories be damned.

    The sour cream must take this recipe up a notch or two. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious! I have never tried it before. Must cook this next time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe!

    By the way, I am hosting a new giveaway! Come by and enter to win a stylish book- Shoestring Chic by Kerrie Hess!

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2011/09/giveaway-shoestring-chic.html

    Have a great week!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum, yum, yum...is all I can say...just what I need after a long day at work!
    Have a lovely week Annie
    Claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum ... totally new recipe to me, and I now *have* to try it ... blow the diet ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting recipe. I've never had spaghetti pie before, but I'd really like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to tell you how much I love your photography and styling skills. Your photos always look so amazing! I really need to take a class to learn how to use my camera better! The recipe looks really good too! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photography is lovely! And that recipe is making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's chilly and rainy here, and lunchtime. I'm starving and this recipe looks perfect for this time of year. I think my kids would love it too. I'll be trying this for sure!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I haven't made spaghetti pie in ages...thanks for the reminder, your recipe sounds much better than the one I remember making, I have to make this!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete