l o v e l y t h i n g s



3.09.2011

kitchen - before and after

This is our new kitchen.  The layout was inspired by Ina Garten's barn kitchen.  Of course on a much smaller scale, but I love the symmetry of her kitchen. We used two Subzeros, one all refrigerator and one all freezer and in the center a 48" Wolf range.  I can't say enough good things about Subzero.  We've pretty much had the same kitchen, black and white wherever we have lived.  This is the first time we've splurged on commercial appliances and what a difference.  Yes, they look beautiful, but I swear my parsley lasts two weeks in the produce drawer.   The sink is by Shaw.  It accommodates large pots and since I rarely use a disposal, I did not want a divided sink.   As you can see we have way too many dishes.  This sort of resulted from my working at Williams Sonoma for a holiday season a few years ago.  Really, who needs this many dishes?  They are all Aplico and Pillivuyt porcelain from France and will last forever.  I figure at this point I may as well keep them until it's time to set my kids up in their first apartments.
This is looking into the kitchen from the dining room.  I was so excited about incorporating brick here and a few places in the house.  I love exposed brick whether it's in a home, a shop or a restaurant.  In the original house the opening to the kitchen was only a standard door width.  There was a large cabinet that actually contained the heating unit for the house.  Since we needed to upgrade the system, we moved it to the attic.  Originally this space was going to be used for a walk in pantry, but our contractor convinced us to widen the opening and have a much smaller pantry.  We were thrilled with the results.  It improved the natural light in the kitchen and we were still able to put the microwave in the pantry.
The pendant lamp over the kitchen table is from Barbara Cosgrove and the pendants over the counter are from Jamie Young.  So reasonably priced and just the look I wanted.  All the lighting in the house is from Lightopia in Laguna Beach.
The counter tops are honed granite.  The faucet is from Rohl.  A California code requires a backwash for the dishwasher. Once we had the inspection it was replaced with a soap dispenser and on the opposite side a sprayer to balance out the sink deck.  The faucet has filtered water on the left side and hot/cold on the right.
I purchased a few new pieces of cookware while working at Williams Sonoma. but I think our favorite cookware is still our Sitram from France purchased at Bridge Kitchenware in New York City.
The hardware on the cabinets, refrigerators and throughout the house is all from Emtek.  I really wanted Nanz, but after several emails and phone calls and still no pricing...I think it's one of those things...if you have to ask...you get it.  Emtek is the look I wanted and it is priced well and has a nice feel.  We used polish nickel in the kitchen and the same style, but flat black and chrome in other areas of the house.  I love the modern feel and the different options like the t-shaped pulls for the pull out spice drawers on each side of the range.
A place for everything...the pull out drawers are great.  Should have used them in the pantry.
Everything had been removed and this was just the start of putting it all back together.  You can see the door way arch has been added along with brick that is on both sides and will be painted white.

The existing kitchen was in pretty good shape.  We kept the dishwasher and donated everything else to Habitat for Humanity.

37 comments:

  1. dear miss lovely things,

    this is beyond gorgeous, i knew it would be though. your whole house belongs in a magazine. i love everything about it. please post some pics of your eating nook, it looks fabulous too.

    truly annie, i'm speechless.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie this is just gorgeous, love it! You have impeccable taste :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dream kitchen! Looks amazing! I love the big entrance with the painted white brick. You must love cooking in here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and i love the hammered silver light shade. need more pics of that please.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sighing from here...lovely, beautiful, functional and dream worthy...
    I'd LOVE a kitchen like yours.

    It must be divine to work in...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowwww!! what a before and after!! How it can be so nice? I love every single part! As Claudia said you have really good taste!! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Congrats, this is a gorgeous and extraordinary new kitchen!!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annie, Your kitchen is so beautiful I just love it. Have fun cooking up a storm like "Ina" does.
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, you have created a gorgeous kitchen! I love every detail...and yes, please post more pictures of your breakfast nook.

    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeepers, your kitchen looks very similar to our, although we have no overhead cupboards. We splurged on good appliances too and doesn't it make a difference? I've said before that our stove top boils water better than any other! Mad, I know. Georgie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kitchen is to die for! What a beautiful transformation! Enjoy the lovely weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Annie,

    Thanks for following me. I just found your blog. Your kitchen is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. It is one of the most beautiful kitchens I have seen. I can't wait to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie- love,love,love your kitchen! Although,I even loved it BEFORE you remodeled it. I found your blog via a comment on Living it at Home. I was curious as to where you lived in CT. My in-laws live in Stratford, and we love it back there! We have often thought of moving to be close to my husband's family and NYC (my favorite place ever) but this last winter has been a bit frightening. My father in-law, who grew up back east, said it is the worst he has seen.
    Just curious how it was moving across the country and if you regret leaving the east coast.
    It looks like you have an amazing house, and I'm sure you are grateful for our weather right now.

    P.S. My oldest daughter and I love trying new places to eat. Next on our list is Wooden Spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your new kitchen! My dream is to have a white kitchen!

    Funny you worked at Williams Sonoma. I worked for Pottery Barn for a while and stocked up on dishes too :) How can you not stock up with that discount?!

    Have a great weekend!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  15. annie...ablsolutely amazing! you have incredible taste. i love your lighting fixtures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for dropping by and becoming a follower of Hf,K. I am looking forward to watching Lovely Things as well. I have to go now and redo my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I melt every time you show your home. Just gorgeous and timeless, perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Annie, this is just gorgeous and I agree with so much that you said about the investment being worthwhile with commercial appliances, how good things last and it was funny about the parsley but again so true! I also love Subzero and am a big believer in their products as well....your kitchen is really beautiful, I am sure you are enjoying it immensely! Cannot wait to be in your position...defeinitely very condusive to whipping up all kinds of wonderful concoctions.....thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK...you have my dream kitchen! I love Ina's home and her lifestyle too! I love watching her cook in her kitchen and have always admired how simple the design is. We are considering a small scale remodel in our kitchen. We always get stuck on wether we are going to live in this house long enough to justify the remodel. We are also contemplating the high end appliances too. They look amazing in your kitchen. Love all the details and the layout! You did a wonderful job and I hope you enjoy it for years to come! Thanks for sharing it!
    ~jamilyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had to wipe the drool from keyboard. Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! I love the pendant lights that you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is insane! I love what you did with the kitchen- you must love living in it

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, wow! I have to echo what everyone else said--your new kitchen is gorgeous and I love everything about it. Thanks so much for telling me about it, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stephanie sent me over to take a look and I must admit, I would love to move right in and be your "personal chef!"
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow. I found this via Stephanie and I am in love with this kitchen. Every last detail is beautiful! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Found you through Stephanie . Love your new space and how organized you are:))) would it be possible to show an after picture from same angle as 2 nd to last photo? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your taste is fabulous. Really! I love everything you did. You must live near me in Newport Beach?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks amazing.. I am about to redo my kitchen.. and can't get enough of makeovers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. How on earth did I miss this post? I'm in love with every little detail. So gorgeous!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stunning kitchen! My husband I built our house 10 years ago, and if I could do my kitchen over again, I would go with white cabinets and dark counters. It's such a classic look!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your kitchen. It's elegant, modern, bright and airy, and oh so much like Ina's : )

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wowza! LOVE your kitchen! The wide arched doorway with the brick was such a good call. And those appliances... oh those appliances... my husband would be in heaven! All in all your kitchen is lovely. Don't you love that open shelving!? We have it too (but shhh, I haven't revealed our kitchen yet!). :) Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I discovered your blog last night and now I have become completely captivated by your style. Your kitchen is a dream! We hope to be completely remodeling our new home soon (if our old one ever sells.) I find myself constantly struggling with finding the right balance of casual & charming & modern touches while still maintaining a level of sophistication. You have pulled that off beautifully! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgoeus, gorgeous, GORGEOUS! Should be in House Beautiful magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Huge kitchen love here....love the brick. It really adds that great texture!

    ReplyDelete